Posted to alt.home.repair
Rev Daisy Mae Johnson Rev Daisy Mae Johnson is offline

Default Electrical Question

Bzzzzzzttttt! Wrong answer but thanks for playing.

The minimum wire gage required is a function of extension cord length AND current flow.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...
The 12 gage cord is only needed if the generator is being
used on full power. Please read the manual for the weed
whacker. I suspect it (weed whacker) is using much less than
5,000 watts. So, the smaller cord is fine.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Dottie" wrote in message

I did the unthinkable -- I went in and dug out the papers
that came
with the generator after I posted. It is a Troy Built 5000
watts and
further down the page it says Cord Set Gauge 12.

And I do remember seeing cords in Walmart and getting the 14
gauge
thinking they would be stronger. Live and learn. I will
have to go
shopping again.