Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus4719 Ignoramus4719 is offline

Default Ping Ed Huntress. Howzit?

On 2011-08-31, wrote:

An old friend of mine in the Houston area has a nice set up. He has a
generator that runs on natural gas so no fuel problems. It starts
automatically when the power goes out and can supply the whole house
including the air conditioning. It also starts itself and runs for a
few minutes once a month to verify it is in good running condition.

I recently had an electrician set up a whole house transfer switch for
my generator. It is a 20 kW Cummins diesel generator. I thought about,
and decided against, an automatic switch. I think that a lot more
things can go wrong with it, and it is kind of risky and dangerous to
have an engine like that starting and running unattended.