Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ping Ed Huntress. Howzit?

On Aug 30, 1:39*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Generators cost money, require maintainance and storing fuel is a big
hassle.

Setting yourself up so you can live without power for days/weeks seems
to be a much easier approach.

TMT

I have existed without a generator for most of my life. But I pretty
much had to get one to keep up with the neighbors. Every house around
me has a generator.

To set myself up so I could live without power would require some sort
of emergency heating system. Something to work instead of the well.
And then
I would still be without TV and the internet. A generator is the
easiest approach for this house at this time.

An old friend of mine in the Houston area has a nice set up. He has a
generator that runs on natural gas so no fuel problems. It starts
automatically when the power goes out and can supply the whole house
including the air conditioning. It also starts itself and runs for a
few minutes once a month to verify it is in good running condition.

Dan