Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Before I buy Leaded Steel

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 11:20:26 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

For me, the free machining leaded steel 12L14 is very easy to cut, but
bad for lapping together parts, because is galls so quickly.

For me, the tool steel, annealed 4140 is easy to drill, until the high
speed drill gets dull, and then the 4140 gets locally hard. I have to
order a carbide drill of that size to cut through the hard spot.

For me, 1018 steel is the go to steel.

I've most certainly workhardened a spot in 4140. But its not that
bad. Just sharpen the drill and go real slow with oil till you get a
couple chips. Then sharpen the drill again. After learning this the
hard way, I watch tool condition pretty close. Far easier to not get
in trouble
Karl