Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Ping Ed Huntress. Howzit?

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
On Aug 29, 9:44 pm, " wrote:
On Aug 29, 6:25 pm, rangerssuck wrote:

Mine is 5KVA and I backfeed it into the house so I can run whatever I
turn on (but not all at once). I think it cost about $600 several
years ago, and that's among the best money I ever spent. Iggy can
probably find you one for 20 bucks. I also hooked it up to three
neighbor's houses to pump out their basements.

Good to hear that you were prepared. We lucked out here and did not
lose power. I had moved most everything up so the basement could have
flooded and nothing would have been damaged. So now things have to be
put back where they belong. I have a generator, but this has me
thinking about maybe installing a inexpensive back up battery operated
sump pump. Getting up in the middle of the night to start a generator
is better than not having a generator to start. But I would rather
sleep in.

Dan

I've thought about that (battery sump pump), too. It ought to be
pretty easy to find, say, a 12V (or maybe 24V?) bilge pump. I don't
know anything about boats, but I can't imagine that such a thing would
be uncommon. Add a couple of forklift batteries and a float charger,
and you're in business.

Bilge pumps I know. g Yes, you can get them in many sizes, 12V for small
boats and 24V for offshore boats with diesels. You probably can get a used
one at the boat yards down the shore.

Make sure it's self-priming, unless you have a hole in your basement floor
to submerge the pump. The non-self-priming ones are more tolerant of crap in
the water.

--
Ed Huntress