Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical Question

On Aug 30, 8:06*am, Dottie wrote:
On Aug 30, 7:53*am, Frank wrote:

On Aug 30, 7:05*am, Dottie wrote:

On Aug 29, 9:27*pm, Smitty Two wrote:

In article
,

*Dottie wrote:
I have a 500 hp generator that I have never actually used. *The
directions say use a 12 gauge cord with it ... I bought 14 gauge
cords. *Are these too strong?

Next question. *Our weed eater stopped working -- my son was using one
of the 14 gauge cords with it when it started smoking and the
connection on one side is black. *Is it because the cord was too
strong? *Or do I need to replace the weed eater. *It's fairly old.

My son and I have recently taken over the outside chores -- and we are
having to learn as we go. *My husband used to do all this but his
health is bad and he can't help. *Appreciate any advice.

I'll give you a 1 out of 10 on the troll-o-meter.

My generator is a 5 hp -- sorry about that. *I bought the 14 gauge
cords to use with it last year -- thinking they would be o.k. but at
the time I am not sure I saw the page in the book that came with the
generator saying 12 gauge. *Anyway, thank you for your help. *And I am
not a troll....just an old lady who is trying to learn new things.- Hide quoted text -

This old guy learned something himself: *wire gauges are like shotgun
gauges, the smaller number is the bigger. *Figured this was the case
but not sure until now.

If you want to use the generator to power stuff in your house, as I do
during a power outage, you should hire an electrician to put in a
transfer box and the cord to plug into the generator. *I don't know
what mine is but the cord is very substantial for the 220 volt plug.
I used the lower voltage once this spring to exercise the generator
and burn out stagnant gas in carburator and strung my hedge clipper to
it with the normal cord with no problem.

I did the unthinkable -- I went in and dug out the papers that came
with the generator after I posted. *It is a Troy Built *5000 watts and
further down the page it says Cord Set Gauge 12.

And I do remember seeing cords in Walmart and getting the 14 gauge
thinking they would be stronger. *Live and learn. I will have to go
shopping again.- Hide quoted text -

Get a couple of those orange 12 guage outdoor extension cords and you
can use them for your weed eater (presuming it still works) and your
generator.

Your generator probably has a pair of 120v sockets. Each socket
delivers half the rated power of the generator, 2500 watts, so it is
wise to split the things you plug into the generator across both
sockets. To do that you will need two extension cords.