Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ping Ed Huntress. Howzit?

On Aug 30, 6:26*am, " wrote:
On Aug 29, 9:57*pm, rangerssuck wrote:

I've thought about that (battery sump pump), too. It ought to be
pretty easy to find, say, a 12V (or maybe 24V?) bilge pump. I don't
know anything about boats, but I can't imagine that such a thing would
be uncommon. *Add a couple of forklift batteries and a float charger,
and you're in business.

Harbor Freight has a couple of 12 volt pumps.

Seehttp://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-marine-utility-pump-9576.html

They may not be the best choice, but ought to work. *I would think a
forklift battery would be over kill. I am thinking more along the
lines of being able to connect it to my truck battery when the weather
is predicted to be bad. *I have connected drain pipe to the downspouts
so all the water is not dumped close to the house, so the sump pump
does not have to be very robust.

Before spending the money, I would run the numbers on amps needed for
how long.

Moving hundreds/thousands of water over days takes serious amps.

Those little generators running sump pumps for days will be reaching
the end of their design lives soon.

Best approach is not to have a basement to have to pump out.

TMT