Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Blowing Neighbours smell away

"Adam Funk" wrote in message

An extremely libertarian perspective might be that employers should be
free to set whatever smoking/non-smoking policies they want,

Marconi banned smoking well before the smoking ban was made law (probably
5-10 years before).
Only a very small number of fool^W people smoked (less than 2%, must be
something to do with intelligence?) and it was annoying the hell out of the
rest of us so we pressured management to ban it or to put them elsewhere.

and prospective employees can accept them or go elsewhere;

A no smoking clause was added to the contracts of new employees.

*some* libertarians seriously argue against anti-discrimination laws on
the
grounds that, in the long term at least, racist employers will be less
successful than non-racist ones (because they are drawing employees
from a smaller pool selected without regard to competence). ("In the
long run we are all dead." -- J M Keynes)