Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Who changes their motor oil at 3000 miles?

On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 20:21:30 -0700 (PDT), ed_h
wrote:

the manuals already say 3,000 mi under sever service. Â*95% of people fit
this category.

--
Steve Barker

Now there is another claim that's going to need some backup.

I think I'm a pretty typical driver, and the system built into my car
usually says it's time to change at around 7000 miles.

There may not be a precise definition of "severe service", but I'd be
skeptical of any definition that came from anyone selling oil or
filters.

How about from the car manufacturer???
The manual for my 2002 PT Cruiser says Schedule "B" - 5000KM or 3000
miles oil change interval is required "If you usually operate your
vehicle under one or more of the following conditions:
-Day or night temperatures below 32F (0C)
-Stop and go driving
-Extensive engine idling
-Driving in dusty conditions
-Short trips of less than 10 miles (16km)
-More than 50% of your driving is at sustained high speeds during hot
weather, above 32C (90f)
-Trailer towing
-Taxi, delivery or police service (commercial use)
-If equiped for and running E85 fuel

NOTE - ONE OR MORE.

Well, I drive less than 16km per day, 90% of the time - and that is
split into 2 or more trips - so I am DEFINITELY in the "Schedule B"
category.
During aproxemately 6 months per year night temperatures are below 0C,
so EVERYONE in Waterloo falls into the "Schedule B" category half of
the year.
Anyone driving during rush hour is in gridlock for a good part of the
comute - putting them in the "schedule B" category.

In the summer, if long distance commuting, a good part of the drive
(say from Waterloo to Toronto) will be sustained high speed driving
during the summer - which is also getting pretty close to "schedule B"

-