Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Before I buy Leaded Steel

On Aug 29, 5:20*pm, Tim Wescott wrote:

I'm basically looking for a steel that'll be suitable for model airplane
crank shafts. *The advice that I get from the hobby builders of model
airplane engines is "use 12L14 and don't crash". *I'm not going to
discount this -- but it'd be nice to be able to do something on par with
what I buy at the store. *So, basically, something that's easy to
machine, but that'll harden up to something between a grade 5 bolt and a
grade 8 bolt.

--www.wescottdesign.com

Take a look at Stressproof. It machines fairly well and has pretty
good mechanical properties without requiring heat treatment. It is a
premium 1144.

http://www.niagaralasalle.com/product-stressproof.html

Dan