Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default Before I buy Leaded Steel

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 16:20:09 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:
snip
On the other hand, if I take 12L14, get it to the shape I want, and do
the _very best heat treat in the world_, then -- because of the low
carbon content -- it's not going to be much harder. Right?

snip

It is possible to get 12L14 glass/file hard by case
hardening. You can do this at home with a propane torch.
You may get better results/less distortion from a commercial
heat treater if they can/will piggyback your parts with a
commercial load.

about
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_hardening

buy supplies from
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...oducts_id=6465
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=119479
there are other brands available

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"