Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
[email protected] rachelms79@hotmail.com is offline

Default ge oven - no bake, no broil

GE gas range 14 years old, model jgbp30bew1ad. No heat on bake, no
heat on broil, stove works fine. Last time the oven worked, it gave a
pop noise and then stopped working; visual inspection of the igniter
shows the igniter melted a hole in the flame spreader (maybe because
the repairman who replaced the igniter 7 months ago told me he always
points the igniter up towards the spreader to give "a nice long
flame") and this drop of molten metal landed on the igniter during
baking, shorting the inner core to the metal shield. I called the
repairman, he put in a new bake igniter but still no flame on bake nor
on broil. He quickly measured no voltage at the gas valve, but didn't
try to diagnose it further. After he left I pulled out and measured
the new igniter and it's 838 ohms (is that too high)?

Is it likely the gas valve burnt out, on both bake and broil, due to
this shorting out of the bake igniter? Or maybe it's the control
board? I still hear a relay click on when I turn the oven knob on for
bake, same for broil. And even self-clean cycle indicators light up
and it starts a count-down, of course there's no heat in the
oven...Maybe just the thermostat? Or is it just time to get a new
range...

Thanks.