Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andrew Rossmann Andrew Rossmann is offline

Default Microwave diode bad?

In article ,
says...

In article ,
says...
It's an HVR-1X diode. This appears, based on some Googling, to be

very
common, and the HVR-1X3 seems to be a common replacement.

That diode is spec'ed at having a large forward voltage drop (10-14
volts). I regular ohm meter will not provide a voltage that high and
will show open.

Is there a simple setup I can create to test it?

I guess I'll answer my own question! I used a 12V UPS battery I had
(12.89V measured) and checked if I could measure voltage through it. The
diode does work and measured about 9.5V.

Any other ideas on what could cause the power surge when the magnetron
is activated? The waveguide is clean. I removed the mica cover over it,
and there was nothing inside.

law!!
http://home.comcast.net/~andyross