Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default OT - Anyone planning to evacuate from Irene?

Ed Huntress wrote:
wrote in message

"Ed wrote in message

wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
wrote in message
On Aug 25, 10:03 pm, "Ed wrote:
Is anyone starting to plan evacuation out there? The latest models
show
the
eye going right over my garage.g I'm only 6 miles from salt water,
but
I'm at 115 feet of altitude, so I'm going to ride it out. The storm
surge
*could* wind up re-shaping the barrier islands of NJ, like one did
just
under a century ago.

It doesn't look good.

--
Ed Huntress

Good luck Ed.

Don't be a hero...stuff can be replaced.

You and your family can't.

TMT

Thanks, TMT. Don't worry about us hanging around if it looks really
bad.
We're too high to worry about storm surge, and I can handle the rain.
But if
the sustained wind is going to be over 70 mph, we're gone.

Your biggest problem is the large trees around your house. The ground
gets soggy and the roots pull up and over they go.

Yeah, we had a big one form next door go through our roof during a
nor'easter about 15 years ago.

If you stay sleep in the bathtub. unless you have one of those
flimsy fiberglass tubs then sleep under your bed.

Our tub is cast iron, but I'd have to cut my legs off at the knees to
sleep in it. And I'd squash my wife. d8-)

It's now looking like we're in for 50 mph. Not too bad.

--
Ed Huntress

55 to 75 here, with gusts to 90. But the surge could be a bitch. The man
hasn't come to my door yet to harass me, wife and kids left to stay with
relatives.

I just saw live video from Asbury Park on TV, and it looks windy, blowing
spray over the boardwalk. I'm not that far from Asbury Park but the wind is
maybe 5 mph, with a little drizzle.

Strange.

That is the eye of the hurricane. The sun should be shining in it too.

John