Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default OT Who changes their motor oil at 3000 miles?

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 07:21:58 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

How many 'routine maintenance' jobs are no longer necessary- oil
intervals, spark plug intervals, points, condensers, tires, batteries,
exhaust systems. . .. .?

Jim

Used to do spring and fall full tune-ups to keep mine solid.
You forgot carb choke adjustment.
That all ended in '91 when I bought an '88 Celebrity with 2.8.
Never picked up my timing light or dwell meter again.
World of difference after electronics and fuel injection.
Nobody much talks about, but I guess metallurgy is the biggest
contributor to engine longevity, not newer oils.
Not needing valve jobs and no cylinder blow-by makes me think that.
You could keep the old ones tuned and change the oil every 2000 miles,
but valves and rings/walls would go bad before 100k miles.
At least that was my experience.

--Vic