Posted to alt.home.repair
Erik[_5_] Erik[_5_] is offline

Default Which kind of valve?

In article ,
micky wrote:

While I was out, for only 2 hours, my tank toilet started spraying a
narrow straight stream of water out the bottom of the tank. I don't
know how that is even possible, since I could find no leak in the line
to the tank or the connection at the tank, nor any hole in the tank
(other than the one for the line). But I saw and felt the je before
I turned the water offt, and it flooded the powder room, hall, and one
room of the basement.

I got a new simple metal line, like was used in the first place, but
now I'm having a hard time tightening it enough to stop its dripping,
and I'm not even sure if it's dripping from the valve or the tank
connection.

Plus I bent the vale handle with the pliers trying to turn the water
off at the toilet, so I thought I'd replace the valve. A guy
shopping said he didn't trust compression fittings, and recommended a
push on valve by the same company, Brassworks?. How could a push-on
valve possibly work well? Plus I don't trust the compression fittings
either, compared to solder. There is a wall next to the toilet, not
much room, what would you use?

Thanks.

Hmmm... just for snorts and giggles, check the nipple coming out of the
wall for pin holes... feel all around it, and use a flashlight.

Just a hunch...

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Erik