Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

Default OT - Anyone planning to evacuate from Irene?

"ATP" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
Is anyone starting to plan evacuation out there? The latest models
show the eye going right over my garage. g I'm only 6 miles from
salt water, but I'm at 115 feet of altitude, so I'm going to ride it
out. The storm surge *could* wind up re-shaping the barrier islands of
NJ, like one did just under a century ago.

It doesn't look good.

--
Ed Huntress

No, I'm about 1000 feet from the bay and maybe 10 or 15 feet
elevation...... Some of my fellow kiteboarders are planning on going
out when the wind is "only" 40 or 50.

Aack. Youze guys are always doing crazy stuff like that. When I was 21,
we used to wait for the nor'easters to go surfing at Wildwood. It turned
Wildwood into something like the North Shore at Oahu.

Surfing in November is a beach, though. I gave that stuff up about 100
years ago.

--
Ed Huntress

Well, I'm not going out, about 35 mph is tops for me. I have to try the
paddleboard in the surf sometime, though. My area is now under a
mandatory evacuation order starting tomorrow morning.

Wow, are you down in Cape May County? Or has it been extended up the
coast?

THIS SURGE WILL BE ACCOMPANIED BY LARGE...DESTRUCTIVE...AND LIFE
THREATENING WAVES.Somebody will be catching some waves..

'Hope they get out in time. Surfing on the wild side is fun, particularly
here on the East Coast where we have to grab our opportunities, but
someone is likely to die. It's just the way it works.

--
Ed Huntress

I'm in NY, out on the island, in a Category 1 surge area. Almost everything
south of Merrick Road/Montauk Highway is going to be evacuated, especially
the barrier beaches, so access to the surf will be limited.