Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry W Larry W is offline

Default OT Who changes their motor oil at 3000 miles?

In article ,
Steve Barker wrote:
On 8/26/2011 5:14 PM, Larry W wrote:
In articlevp6dnc486MLvXMrTnZ2dnUVZ_gKdnZ2d@giganews. com,
Steve wrote:
On 8/24/2011 9:02 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
All the oil change places still put 3000 in the window sticker.

Good advice. Oil SHOULD be changed every 3000 miles.

--
Steve Barker

True from the perspective of a Jiffy Lube franchisee, but not necessary for
the vast majority of vehicles using modern oil and built in the last 3
decades or so.

suit yourself. you're probably right, given most you yuppies won't keep
the vehicle long enough to matter. Might just as well not change it at
all if you're only gonna keep it 50,000 miles or 2 years. Why bother.?

--
Steve Barker

FYI, my current 1996 Jeep Cherokee has 166,000 miles and uses less than
a quart of oil between 6000 mile oil change intervals. My previous 1978
Chevy pickup, which I bought used in 1986 and kept til 2006 when I bought
the Jeep, had over 250,000 miles on the original 350 V8, and I was never
really conscientous about changing the oil in that truck either. BTW
the engine was still running well when I sold the truck. I got rid of
it because the bed and cab were pretty much disintegrated from rust.