Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default OT Who changes their motor oil at 3000 miles?

On 8/26/2011 11:57 AM, ed_h wrote:
On Aug 26, 10:53 am, Steve wrote:
On 8/24/2011 9:02 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

All the oil change places still put 3000 in the window sticker.

Good advice. Oil SHOULD be changed every 3000 miles.

--
Steve Barker

What is the source of this wisdom?

dirt. The basic design of the engine has not changed. Aluminum
bearings (basically) aluminum pistons, and cast iron crank and
cylinders. Oil gets dirty., doesn't matter how much the oil costs, or
how fancy the vehicle is. The oil still gets dirty in about 3000 miles.
(given an approximate 5 quart capacity). Larger sumps can go
proportionally longer.

--
Steve Barker