Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default OT - Anyone planning to evacuate from Irene?

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

So, what's the story on inverters? What can and can't you run on
them? What's the figure on horsepower for them? I've heard you can't
run very large motors, like an electric chainsaw, on them. Does
anybody here have much experience with them?

I've had extremely good luck with them.
I have the great-grandfather of this unit:
http://www.harborfreight.com/750-wat...ter-66817.html

I've run my 5-1/4" circular saw, my Makita angle grinder
and my refrigerator during a power outage with it from
my car battery (One at a time with engine running).
No problemo. It Just Works.

Regarding evacuations, I don't expect to leave for Irene. You, Win?

No, but the 40 pounds of striped bass and bluefish
is a temptation.

But if something were to head my way, I'd pack up the valuables and
leave at the first hint of evacuation, way before it was official.
Traffic out of town is likely to be deadly for at least 24 hours
before the official word leaks out, 48 hours before it's officially
released, especially in very large urban areas.

Yup. Silicon Gulch during the Loma Prieta shaker was
pretty congested.

I really should stock up a second (and maybe 3rd) BOB.
http://goo.gl/Zy6Jg

Prepared is good.

--Winston