Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Anonymous Remailer (austria) Anonymous Remailer (austria) is offline

Default TV aerial gizmo

wrote in
:

On Aug 26, 1:06=A0am, Dave U. Random anonym...@anonymitaet-im-
inter.net wrote:
Winston wrote in :

mikehh wrote:
Is there a gizmo which =A0can connect to my living room wall =A0TV a=

erial
socket which will send the TV signal =A0to my bedroom TV"s =A0which
presently have set top aerials on them. At the same time I still wan=

t to
maintain the lead from the walll socket to my living room TV?

Sure!
It is called a splitter.
http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/1079229.html

Insert it between your antenna and your living room
TV and run coax from it's other outputs to the
cable inputs of your other TVs.

Although if yer in a weak reception area, you may need an amplifier.
Splitting the signal makes it weaker for all the TVs.

Growing up, we wired each room for TV. Since we were in a remote area,
we only got three channels, and all of them were weak.

We had a huge TV antenna on a 100' crank-up tower (75' of tower, 25'
of drilling rig pipe at the top), with a pre-amp at the antenna
(voltage to run it was injected into the coax leading to the antenna
by the distribution amp), and a distribution amp down at the living
room TV, where all the other TVs were fed from.

Even with all that, we still had to rotate the antenna to get a better
signal. My dad bought a surplus prop-pitch motor off a WWII airplane,
wired it up so it could be controlled from the living room, lowered
the tower, tilted it over, mounted the prop-pitch motor, and it worked
a treat.

Then we got satellite... a big 10' dish.

It's so much easier nowadays.
.

=20
I lved in Florida on the east coast, Fort Pierce. Worked in a tv
store summers home from college. In 1953, tv transmitters were only
in Miami and Jacksonville, 135 and 225 miles away. We used crank-up
and tilt-over towers 40' tall to get Miami, with vacuum tube preamps
on the towers and 300 ohm twinlead to the sets. When lightning hit,
as it frequently did, we got fried tuners and amplifiers and melted
downlead. We could only work on antennas in the mornings due to
lightning danger from noon onwatrds. When West Palm Beach got tv, it
was great, only 50 miles to the nearest station, we didn't have to use
amplifiers on the 40' towers.

My dad was a big believer in proper grounding.

We had a half-mile long-wire antenna that seemed to drain off most
static buildup before it got to the point of a lightning strike. On
each pole supporting the long-wire antenna, there were big lightning
rods that we took great pains to sharpen to a needle-point. These ran
into 6' x 6' x 1" copper plates, buried 10 feet in the ground at the
base of each pole. I think he got the copper plates from military
surplus.

The long wire antenna was almost always charged with static... there
were times when it would jump a 12" spark during heavy snow storms or
high winds. We kept it grounded to the same ground as the TV antenna
tower was grounded to, except when Dad was using it to transmit, or we
lost power, then we hooked up a 40 watt fluorescent light to it so we
could see.

The TV antenna tower also had lightning rods spaced at 25 feet
intervals up its height, grounded through a braided copper line about
half the size of my arm that was buried 10 feet down around the
perimeter of the house then run to a 10' x 10' x 1" copper plate
buried 20 feet in the ground, right above the water table.

The lightning rods on the roof (spaced every 10 feet, along the peak
of the roof, and along the perimeter, along with 4 lightning rods on
the chimney) also went into that same ground.

We had quite a few direct hits... never blew out any electronics,
though.