Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] hrhofmann@att.net is offline

Default TV aerial gizmo

On Aug 26, 1:06*am, Dave U. Random anonym...@anonymitaet-im-
inter.net wrote:
Winston wrote in :

mikehh wrote:
Is there a gizmo which *can connect to my living room wall *TV aerial
socket which will send the TV signal *to my bedroom TV"s *which
presently have set top aerials on them. At the same time I still want to
maintain the lead from the walll socket to my living room TV?

Sure!
It is called a splitter.
http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/1079229.html

Insert it between your antenna and your living room
TV and run coax from it's other outputs to the
cable inputs of your other TVs.

Although if yer in a weak reception area, you may need an amplifier.
Splitting the signal makes it weaker for all the TVs.

Growing up, we wired each room for TV. Since we were in a remote area,
we only got three channels, and all of them were weak.

We had a huge TV antenna on a 100' crank-up tower (75' of tower, 25'
of drilling rig pipe at the top), with a pre-amp at the antenna
(voltage to run it was injected into the coax leading to the antenna
by the distribution amp), and a distribution amp down at the living
room TV, where all the other TVs were fed from.

Even with all that, we still had to rotate the antenna to get a better
signal. My dad bought a surplus prop-pitch motor off a WWII airplane,
wired it up so it could be controlled from the living room, lowered
the tower, tilted it over, mounted the prop-pitch motor, and it worked
a treat.

Then we got satellite... a big 10' dish.

It's so much easier nowadays.
.

I lved in Florida on the east coast, Fort Pierce. Worked in a tv
store summers home from college. In 1953, tv transmitters were only
in Miami and Jacksonville, 135 and 225 miles away. We used crank-up
and tilt-over towers 40' tall to get Miami, with vacuum tube preamps
on the towers and 300 ohm twinlead to the sets. When lightning hit,
as it frequently did, we got fried tuners and amplifiers and melted
downlead. We could only work on antennas in the mornings due to
lightning danger from noon onwatrds. When West Palm Beach got tv, it
was great, only 50 miles to the nearest station, we didn't have to use
amplifiers on the 40' towers.