Posted to sci.electronics.repair
spamtrap1888 spamtrap1888 is offline

Default TV aerial gizmo

On Aug 25, 11:06*pm, Dave U. Random anonym...@anonymitaet-im-
inter.net wrote:

Growing up, we wired each room for TV. Since we were in a remote area,
we only got three channels, and all of them were weak.

We had a huge TV antenna on a 100' crank-up tower (75' of tower, 25'
of drilling rig pipe at the top), with a pre-amp at the antenna
(voltage to run it was injected into the coax leading to the antenna
by the distribution amp), and a distribution amp down at the living
room TV, where all the other TVs were fed from.

Even with all that, we still had to rotate the antenna to get a better
signal. My dad bought a surplus prop-pitch motor off a WWII airplane,
wired it up so it could be controlled from the living room, lowered
the tower, tilted it over, mounted the prop-pitch motor, and it worked
a treat.

Then we got satellite... a big 10' dish.

It's so much easier nowadays.
.

A friend of my grandparents lived in Kitchener, Ontario. The first TV
signals in their area came from Buffalo, New York, but he was eager to
see the modern miracle. I forget the height of the tower he put in his
backyard -- it was still there when we visited them in my youth -- but
if memory serves it was fifty feet high.

You should have lived in the central US. Friends who farmed out by
Peoria needed only a six-foot dish, mounted on the ground. When they
wanted to change satellites they just walked outside and handcranked
it.