Posted to alt.home.repair
Doc Doc is offline

Default Good paint for fiberglass canoe?

Dwight wrote in
m:

We have a canoe I built years ago with polyester resin which needs
touching up.

I am sure there are many conflicting ideas out there, but a few hints
would be very helpful.

1. What would be a good product?

2. How best to apply it?

I had to paint an old town canvas canoe that had been fiberglassed and
needed a color upgrade about 15 or so years ago. I happened to live near a
paint manufacturer, Keeler and Long, so I went by and asked one of the
engineers what was recommended. After the necessary joke about the paint
used for power plant containment vessels, he suggested an epoxy primer
followed by a polyester based topcoat. The epoxy provides a solid base for
the topcoat to adhere, and the poly topcoat provides a really deep, solid
color. When I did as he suggested it turned out really well, very deep,
substantial color and from what I understand no concerns with cracking or
any other defects.