Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default OT Who changes their motor oil at 3000 miles?

On Aug 25, 8:35*am, Vic Smith wrote:
On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 14:30:05 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

Harry K wrote in news:9f59ffdf-0a25-469d-a2d9-
:

On Aug 24, 7:22*pm, ed_h wrote:
On Aug 24, 9:02*pm, Metspitzer wrote:

All the oil change places still put 3000 in the window sticker.

My truck has a built in feature that puts a message up on the dash
readout when it's time to change oil. *The owners manual says that the
message is based on a lot of things, including length of trips,
temperature, and driving habits, and to change oil when I get the
message, or at 7000 miles, whichever is sooner. *The message typically
pops up at around 6000-7500 miles.

The factory dealer's service department still puts on the 3000 mile
sticker, though.

I do at 3,000. *Been around 6 years since I read the manual but IIRC
it give 3,000 for 'severe service'. *Since most of my driving is only
4 miles to town and 4 back that certainly is sever service as it never
gets properly warmed up.

Harry K

You probably go through a lot of exhaust fixes.

4 miles should be enough to heat up the exhaust well.
Probably. *Can't say I ever checked it.

--Vic- Hide quoted text -

Never have had to fix any car exhausts but to keep SWMBO happy I chnge
cars often. Now my truck....I need to replace the whole thing again.
Everything aft of the muffler stub is gone...as in dropped off
somewhere on the road. This is the second time for it and I bought it
used. Currently at 150,000

Harry K