Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Who changes their motor oil at 3000 miles?

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 08:31:19 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Evan wrote:
On Aug 24, 10:45 pm, LouB wrote:
Metspitzer wrote:
All the oil change places still put 3000 in the window sticker.

Follow the $$.

If the manual says 7500 why do anything else?

Because if you don't change the oil more frequently if you
do city/in-town driving only consisting of short trips where
the engine oil doesn't get up to operating temperature for
a good length of time, it breaks down much faster and
does not do its job properly...

Uh, I think the oil gets to operating temperature in about twenty seconds.

I may exaggerate, but if I move the car - after being parked overnight - to
the area where I'd like to change the oil, the oil draining from the pan is
hotter than a biscuit.

You like your biscuits at room temp???
To get the oil to "operating temperature" generally takes 10 or more
miles - and to get the moisture boiled out, about 20 more minutes of
driving, if it has done a lot of short trips over a period of weeks
before.