Posted to alt.home.repair
LouB[_3_] LouB[_3_] is offline

Default OT Who changes their motor oil at 3000 miles?

Evan wrote:
On Aug 24, 10:45 pm, LouB wrote:
Metspitzer wrote:
All the oil change places still put 3000 in the window sticker.

Follow the $$.

If the manual says 7500 why do anything else?

Because if you don't change the oil more frequently if you
do city/in-town driving only consisting of short trips where
the engine oil doesn't get up to operating temperature for
a good length of time, it breaks down much faster and
does not do its job properly...

Not only does engine oil lubricate the engine's moving
parts, it also acts as a medium to transmit heat from
parts of the engine which are not near the coolant
tubes...

It has nothing to do with the engine oil change military
industrial complex wanting to stiff consumers out of
money for more frequent oil changes at all... It is
whether you want to have to pay for costly engine
repairs or even replacement because you had
broken down oil in your engine for about 1/2 it's
operating life because you went twice as long
between changes given your type of driving and
any environmental conditions... You would want
to change the oil at the 3,000 mile frequency if
your driving environment is primarily desert
or beach landscapes as you would want to
rid the engine of any grit that gets past the
air intake filter and not allow it to remain inside
the engine to wet sand the parts and destroy
things like oil seals and piston rings...

~~ Evan

Always changed oil on recommended schedule, not 3000 miles.
Result NEVER had an engine problem, let alone failure, due to wear, or
heat. Used car for commuting and around town. Oh yeah my experience is
limited since I am only 71. Yes I would have changed oil more in tough
environments, but most folks do not have that issue so most folks can
ignore 3,000 mile BS.