Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dennis Dennis is offline

Default Air pop rivet tool

On 25/08/2011 12:09 AM, Richard wrote:
On 8/24/2011 10:39 AM, Steve B wrote:
The subject has come up for me to use pop rivets along the edges of
sheeting
rather than special stitching self drilling screws @ $.17 - $.26 per.

I have always wanted an air pop rivet tool, and it's one of those things
that if I had one, I'd probably use it more on some projects.

Question: Is this tool like a HF cheapie thing, or is it worth it to buy
one that will last a lifetime? And it seems they are all fairly
inexpensive, $25 - $60. Is it worth the extra dough to get a decent one
over the HF version, or is this a tool that will see such little use
that a
cheap one will last long enough?

Brand name suggestions?

Steve

Mine is a Central Pneumatics model 167 (made in Taiwan).

Dunno if that's a cheapy or high quality.
I got it second (or third?) hand.

I have pulled thousands of 1/8" rivets and several hundred 3/16".

Never missed a lick.

Richard

Yep, I've got a cheapie, about $60 cost. I've done hundreds of rivets
including stainless & it works fine. It's almost fun to use and your
wirsts dont get jarred either!