Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default OT Who changes their motor oil at 3000 miles?

On 8/24/2011 11:32 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
All the oil change places still put 3000 in the window sticker.

Recently, the guy I use started putting the stickers for 500 miles. I
change at 7000 to 7500 though, just like the book says. Maybe in mid
winter I'll go earlier, but at least half my driving is highway and 25+
miles trips.

I drive so little any more, I do it as much by time as miles- about
every 8-10 months works out to every 4-5 k miles. Of course, the current
two cars are the first ones where I am not adding a quart every month or
so (knock on wood)- if you have a car that leaks or burns and keep
adding fresh oil, you can stretch it a bit. 3k miles is 'because that is
the way we have always done it' and a profit center, IMHO. Even Click
and Clack say 3k is too often, with modern oil and engine systems, and
unleaded gas. I do make sure to drive long enough and fast enough to get
the engines fully heated up, at least once a week.

--
aem sends...