Posted to alt.home.repair
Higgs Boson[_2_] Higgs Boson[_2_] is offline

Default Toilet sometimes runs

On Aug 24, 8:31*am, Harry K wrote:
On Aug 23, 8:29*am, Higgs Boson wrote:

This is driving me nuts. *Sometimes the toilet (low-flow Vitra) runs,
and sometimes it doesn't. *I have tried pushing the handle down
different ways -- fast, slow -- but can't isolate that as a factor.

Now I'm leaving the lid off, which doesn't look so great on the
bathroom floor, just so I can monitor what happens on each flush.

Since I''m not handy, would any of Our Gurus have a suggestion?

TIA

HB

Two rather remote possibilities but I have had both problems:

1. *Lift chain occasionally gets sorta caught on the end of the flush
arm takes all the slack out and ball doesn't fully seat. *I cured that
by hanging a fish weight on the chain.

2. *Wife can't flush the toilet right. *My new TOTO Drake did that.
It wouldn't seat all the way if she held the flush handle while it
flushed. *Why did she do that? *Who knows. *It took me 6 months of
demonstrations, coaxing, yelling etc before she was convinced _she_
was the problem and not the toilet.

Tx Harry. What's driving me up the wall, as I originally posted, is
why the ball sometimes seats perfectly, and sometimes doesn't
I tried tracking it by the way I work the flush arm (fast, slow,
abrupt, gradual) but there seems to be no correlation.
I'll try hanging something on the chain & see if that makes a
difference.

HB