Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Air pop rivet tool

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 08:39:57 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

The subject has come up for me to use pop rivets along the edges of sheeting
rather than special stitching self drilling screws @ $.17 - $.26 per.

I have always wanted an air pop rivet tool, and it's one of those things
that if I had one, I'd probably use it more on some projects.

Don't you weld more than you pop-rivet?

Question: Is this tool like a HF cheapie thing, or is it worth it to buy
one that will last a lifetime? And it seems they are all fairly
inexpensive, $25 - $60. Is it worth the extra dough to get a decent one
over the HF version, or is this a tool that will see such little use that a
cheap one will last long enough?

Once a decade? Go with HF. Their hand riveter is OK, as are most of
their tools. And $35 is an easy choice. Buy it just before you're
going to use it and if it doesn't last the project, or you don't like
it for some reason, return it.

Brand name suggestions?

SWAG:
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-16-in...ter-93458.html
$34.95 on sale. Use a 20% coupon for an even better deal.

Unfortunately, I had a head come off my HF 3# cross pein hammer today.
Luckily, I took the swing and it kindasorta melted into the workpiece
instead of flying 30' and taking out a pedestrian, a window, or my
client. http://goo.gl/WsM5m A 1' long wooden stake into the ground
took it out.

I need to remove the epoxy and see if the thing can be saved with a
wedge. It felt good until the head came off. g

--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer