Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

Default How come wood doors always grow bigger?

On Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:26:22 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

The thing is, long-grain doesn't expand/contract w/ moisture at all (in
comparison as you obviously know) so all the change in dimension for a
conventionally-constructed panel door has to come from the stiles which
one would presume are only something like 6-8" each. The amount of
dimension change over that distance that you're seeing is remarkable...

Yeah, that's why I'm amazed by all this. These are mostly rail and stile single panel doors, so the percentage across the stile width seems large.

Any idea the species of the wood out of curiosity?

Exterior doors are solid softwoods, don't know the species.

Interior doors are solid wood rails and stiles with plywood panels, and thick (3/32 - 1/8") gumwood veneer over everything. The solid wood is glued up miscellaneous hardwoods. On the top and bottom of the doors where there is no veneer, I can see 3-5 narrow sticks glued up to get the 6" width for the stiles. I can tell some of it is oak, but there are some other tight-grained hardwoods in there too that I can't identify.