Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Cordless iron

In article ,
Winston wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
"Michael A. wrote:

Why would anyone in their right mind want to steal a defective
soldering iron?

Because it's cheaper to steal a brand new unit from the customer
than to honor the warranty.

I Fixed That For You.

--Winston

Thanks. I was merely superimposing my experience with Edsyn. They offer
a 1 yr. warranty. If you return the iron for repair within 1 yr, they
send a brand new unit, free.

After 1 yr, they offer a lifetime fixed-price repair that is about 1/2
the new cost. Send in a unit for fixed-price repair, you get a brand new
unit in return. They call it a repair, but it ain't, obviously. It's
just a way to sell a new unit and circumvent the dealer (and the
dealer's markup.)

I see it as a win-win, actually. When I got sick to f-ing death of
fixing the Wellers, and paying for all those replacement parts, I
switched over to Edsyn. The reliability / longevity is about 10x, and
when they do finally break, I get new units for the price of a couple of
replacement parts.