Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default Planes for smoothing

Greg Guarino wrote

If I were to get a proper plane
for the purpose, could I reasonably expect to, for instance, smooth down
a face frame? Or does it require more learning and practicing (both in
the sharpening and the actual use of the tool) than a guy like me is
likely to have the time or patience for?

Yes, I recommend at least a 15" planer with a spiral, segmented cutter
head of no less than 3 HP.

The carbide inserts can be rotated 4 times so last forever and no
sharpening skills are needed. The inserts require no adjustments so
that problem is solved. About all you need learn is that boards should
be a bit longer than needed so you can cut off the snipe that will
undoubtedly occur on all pre-cut to length boards. Oh, the sound is
sweet as well, nothing at all like a straight 15" blade whacking the
wood and waking the neighbors:-)

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com