Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default caulk along roof drip edge and fascia board?

Joe wrote:
On Aug 23, 4:33 pm, wrote:
On Aug 23, 2:35 pm, "Don wrote:

wrote in message

I have a wood fascia board with no gutter. That wood wears at 10x the
rate of the other siding, fascia. I need to prep and paint, but
thinking to maybe run a bead of caulk along the drip edge and the
fascia so water does not wik up. The shingles were trimmed almost
flush with the drip edge, so there is very little overhang beyond the
fascia board.
Thoughts?
On the flip side-- caulking could trap water on the roof.

Why not flash the edge, if not the whole fascia board? If
secured under the drip edge, a few inches of flashing may
make the fascia last much longer. Of course you would
need to colour/camouflage it.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

The fascia is flashed about 1.5" below the shingles, leaving about 5"
of fascia exposed. It could just be a bad paint job. I was wondering
if I should try to caulk that flashing to fascia joint, because as-is
it's going to be hard to get paint up underneath that flashing.

Most any siding installing outfit can bring bending brakes and formers
to the job and flash/cover the whole fascia even down around the
bottom like they do for window trim. Never needs painting, sheds
water, looks decent and is cheap, lasts for years. What's not to like?

Joe

Hi,
Wonder why there is no eavestrough? Anyhow those metal preformed
cladding material is at HD, Lowes, or Rona. Clad it and forget it.