Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Winston Winston is offline

Default Cordless iron

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Winston wrote:

(...)

* Don't send your iron in for warranty repair.
They will steal it instead of repair and return it.

Why would anyone in their right mind want to steal a defective
soldering iron?

I learned to use good quality butane because the
'variety store' stuff caused my iron to sputter.
The warranty repair was for that sputtering, before
I knew the cause of the problem. I feed my second
iron the best quality butane and it has never let
me down.

The Weller sales rep knew that all he had to do
was flush out the bad butane and refill with good
butane and he had himself a brand new iron for free.

He had me send it to an individual. I figured that
it was an exotic problem that only that one guy could
repair for me. Lesson learned.

--Winston -- The folks at Metcal are honest
and honorable though.