Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_41_] Bill[_41_] is offline

Default EMT Design Question

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

Mike,

Your earlier comments made me think a little more. See if you think
the following idea makes things easier/better:

I could just bend one piece of EMT to run from the switchbox, up the
stud, and finish with a 90 degree bend coalescing with the ceiling,
attaching one those C-type EMT connectors to the end. This eliminates
the "middle" box in my earlier drawing (so no surface-mount boxes).

What do you think; pretty good, no? There's power in numbers
(working together)!

So, am I understanding that you'd remove the current flush mount box and
install a gang box there and run the conduit up the inside of the wall,
along the stud, and then break through at the ceiling? I'm not sure I have
that right because that would pretty much require you cut out sheetrock in
that stud pocket and then refinish it afterwards - not necessarily the worst
solution though. Just don't know that I'm understanding your plan
correctly.

Thank you for your interest. Yes, that just what I am prepared to do.
I've still working with drywall compound anyway, and I haven't primed
anything yet, so that part is no big deal. The only thing left about it
that seems unorthodox to me is having the EMT come through the wall (6
inches before the ceiling) without some sort of fixture to guide it.
However, it will be securely clamped to the stud befind the wall and to
the ceiling after it exits. You could think of it as an "all EMT"
solution--except part of the EMT lies behind the wall.