Posted to alt.home.repair
chaniarts[_3_] chaniarts[_3_] is offline

Default Rebuild a battery pack??

On 8/23/2011 3:30 PM, Steve B wrote:
"Caesar wrote in message
Wow!

I just checked what it would cost to rebuild the battery pack on my
Black& Decker rechargeable 12v drill. At

http://www.primecell.com/pctools.htm

For a 12.0 Volts rebuild:

Replace NICD with high capacity upgrade: $ 33.00

plus $9 return shipping and I assume approximately $9 to ship the
battery TO primecell.com. That a total of $51. The cost of a new
12v B&D rechargeable in Lowes is $39.97.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_295344-79992-BD12PSK_0__?productId=1208731&Ntt=black+decker+12+ rechargeable&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Db lack%2Bdecker%2B12%2Brechargeable&facetInfo=

Would the rebuilt battery pack be better than that which comes with a
new drill?

Or should I just avoid rechargeables, as is my inclination.

Yes, no, maybe, positively, and I don't know.

New batteries are coming with lithium batteries and metal hydrides that are
far better than the nickel cadmium of old. They do not have to be
discharged fully, and then be recharged like nicads. The old nicads
developed a "memory" if partially discharged then charged, and you could
only get them to charge up say 70%. With the new ones, even if you just use
the battery some, put it in the charger and it's good to go for tomorrow, no
issues of letting the thing run down, and it always runs down at the worst
time. With the new ones, you can always "top off" the battery with no
memory issue.

Lithium ion batteries have a lifetime # of recharges. a partial recharge
counts against this limit.

I'd chuck the B&D and get a REAL drill. Whatever money you spend now may be
tossed down the drain if you have another issue with the drill, and that
money "could" have been spent towards a better drill.

Pawn shops, yard sales, and other places have good used drills if you don't
want to spring for a new one dollar wise. I got a DeWalt 18v. on sale, and
I wish I had done it sooner. From what I understand, Ryobi makes a decent
drill for the price, and that isn't a lot more than what you're talking
about for a battery.

YMMV, of course.

Steve