Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rebuild a battery pack??

On Aug 23, 5:58*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Caesar Romano wrote:
Wow!

I just checked what it would cost to rebuild the battery pack on my
Black & Decker rechargeable 12v drill. At

http://www.primecell.com/pctools.htm

For a 12.0 Volts rebuild:

Replace NICD with high capacity upgrade: *$ 33.00

plus $9 return shipping and I assume approximately $9 to ship the
battery TO primecell.com. * That a total of $51. * The cost of a new
12v B&D rechargeable in Lowes is $39.97.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_295344-79992-BD12PSK_0__?productId=1208731&Nt...

Would the rebuilt battery pack be better than that which comes with a
new drill?

Or should I just avoid rechargeables, as is my inclination.

A rebuild battery can be much better than the factory-supplied one.

Or you can rebuild it yourself. In addition to the bulk batteries, you'll
need to fashion a capacitive-discharge welder. Won't cost much: A big
honkin' capacitor, a 12-volt DC supply (like a battery charger), a thyatron,
and a switch.

Google for "capacitve welder" and you'll find plans and supplies.- Hide quoted text -

You don't need a spot welder if you buy batteries that
have tabs already on them. I recently rebuilt an old
Milwaukee one with batteries I bought on Ebay. Cost
about $20, including shipping.

It was a bit tricky though. Biggest potential problem
that I narrowly avoided is that there isn't any extra
space and while the replacement batteries are
the same size, it's still a tight fit to get it all back
together again. Also, my batteries arrived at
least partially charged, so you have to be careful
while soldering/assembling.

If you have decent soldering skills you can do it.