Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Rebuild a battery pack??

On Aug 23, 4:38*pm, Caesar Romano wrote:
Wow!

I just checked what it would cost to rebuild the battery pack on my
Black & Decker rechargeable 12v drill. At

http://www.primecell.com/pctools.htm

For a 12.0 Volts rebuild:

Replace NICD with high capacity upgrade: *$ 33.00

plus $9 return shipping and I assume approximately $9 to ship the
battery TO primecell.com. * That a total of $51. * The cost of a new
12v B&D rechargeable in Lowes is $39.97.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_295344-79992-BD12PSK_0__?productId=1208731&Nt....

Would the rebuilt battery pack be better than that which comes with a
new drill?

Or should I just avoid rechargeables, as is my inclination.

B & D is the bargain line of the company, IMO replacement is a dubious
choice. The world has mostly adopted Li ion. so look for a new drill
powered that way. Makita is a favorite of tradesmen, Milwaukee, too. I
upgraded my Milwaukee 18V NiCd to Li ion batteries with new charger
when they became available and haven't looked back. Read the reviews
at Amazon and pick what you like best. The serious DIYer will have
corded and cordless in his kit, taking advantage of the unique
characteristics of each. Better tools = better results.

Joe