Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Toilet sometimes runs

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 08:29:43 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

This is driving me nuts. Sometimes the toilet (low-flow Vitra) runs,
and sometimes it doesn't. I have tried pushing the handle down
different ways -- fast, slow -- but can't isolate that as a factor.

Now I'm leaving the lid off, which doesn't look so great on the
bathroom floor, just so I can monitor what happens on each flush.

Since I''m not handy, would any of Our Gurus have a suggestion?

TIA

HB

The flapper may not be seating. This can sometimes be slime that
allows the flapper to leak. Do you see water movement in the bowl
during the leaking? Just cleaning the flapper can stop the leak (mine
was like this and I could hear a chatter as water passed by).

If cleaning the flapper doesn't fix it, get a new flapper and replace
the old one. A small crack or split in the rubber will also cause a
leak.

Put some food coloring in the tank, letting it sit overnight. If the
bowl water changes color -- clean or replace the flapper.