Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default EMT Design Question

Larry Jaques writes:
On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 18:47:55 -0400, Bill
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 04:17:46 -0400,
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Ceiling box surface mounted with fmt to in-wall box might be my
choice. Romex in wall, stapled to stud. http://goo.gl/UYFER

You would be using all of the fixtures as "electrical boxes", correct?

So, if I understand your design correctly, I wouldn't need any more
boxes other than the "switchbox".

Correctamundo. There are usually lots of knockouts in fluor fixture
bases for connecting EMT fittings. Use those for runs for all three
switches. Check the NEC for congestion. I think 3 pairs will be OK in
1/2" EMT with a single larger ground, but check.

Yes, there are *lots* of knockouts on the fixture bases. I need to
check the "wire space" of the fixture bases and of other pertinent
specifications. If the fixture bases aren't large enough that will
create mucho extra work.

I've never seen a fluor box which didn't have ample space for wiring.
Mine are for T-12s, so there's room for about 150 extra 14ga THHNs in
each.

--- Begin Quote ---

Section 410-31 of the NEC (1999 Edition) states:

Fixtures shall not be used as a raceway for circuit conductors.

Exception #1: Fixtures listed for use as a raceway
Exception #2: Fixtures designed for end-to-end assembly to
form a continuous raceway or fixtures connected
together by recognized wiring methods shall be permitted
to carry through conductors of a 2-wire or multiwire
branch circuit supplying the fixtures.
Exception #3: One additional 2-wire branch circuit separately supplying
one or more of the connected fixtures described in exception
#2 shall be permitted to be carried through the fixtures.

Branch-circuit conductors within 3 inches of a ballast within the ballast
compartment shall have an insulation temperature rating not lower than
90 degrees C such as Types RHH, THW, THHN, THHW, FEP, FEPB, SA and XHHW.

--- End Quote ---

Most consumer grade flourescents aren't listed as raceways. That pretty
much leaves exception #2 as the guidance for this application. It also limits
you to 2 two-wire or 1 three-wire and 1 two-wire branch circuits for the
string of fixtures.

Do note the "recognized wiring methods".

Please also be aware that the temperature rating of the conductors being
passed through must be at least 90c (THHN should suffice, but never use NM or NM-B)

scott