Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dishwasher drainage pump running constantly with door open andno water to drain.

On 23/08/2011 12:24, Scott M wrote:
Chris wrote:

I tried filling the bottom of the dishwasher with some water but this
which then drained but the pump kept on running and didn't make any
difference.

I had this with a Bosch. There was a float switch in the base of the
unit[1] that would run the pump if it filled with water. A slow drip
from the inlet valve joint had, over a couple of years, filled it and
finally tripped it.

[1] ie outside the usual water containing bits, 1/4" off the floor.

I know this has now been resolved, but just a quick note for others that
may need it in the future. There is another type that instead of having
a water retaining base and a float switch, has an open base and a
microswitch held closed by a piece of sponge. When it gets wet, the foam
softens and the switch opens. To fix, you have to remove and dry the
sponge. In our case, it was not wet, it was just that over the years the
sponge had gradually compressed - sorted out by reversing the sponge.

SteveW