Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jeffrey Angus[_2_] Jeffrey Angus[_2_] is offline

Default Speaker voice coil windings

On 8/23/2011 8:53 AM, N_Cook wrote:
Jeffrey wrote in message
On 8/23/2011 8:14 AM, N_Cook wrote:
What is the difference between N turns of wire of cross-sectional area A

and
2 parallel coils of N turns and wire area A/2 ?

The ability of marketing to carry on about the reduced "skin effect"
and how it enhances to sound of the speaker.

Jeff

--
"Everything from Crackers to Coffins"

I have one in front of me burnt out in a small section not overlying an
obvious stress point,ie not lead-in , lead-out or bend. I was just wondering
if finer wire could make a VC more vulnerable to failure due to microscopic
grit or swarf or something.

Actually, I would think that method would allow a thinner gap.
Higher flux density in the gap then.

Probably a good reason nobody else is doing it.

Jeff

--
"Everything from Crackers to Coffins"