Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Winston Winston is offline

Default Cordless iron

Donovan Digital wrote:
Thinking about picking up a cordless solder iron again - mostly for
audio cable work. Anyone have any suggestions? Weller or some other
brand? Gas or battery?

I'd really prefer battery. The smell of gas bothers me, so I hope
there's not really a significant power advantage to gas.

Thanks much in advance for any help

The first generation battery irons were just toys and did
not have the capacity to solder medium to large joints.
I assume they have improved because they could not have
gotten much worse.

I really like my Weller Portasol PSI-100K.

Beware though!

* It is a very unregulated source, so you will have to
adjust the heat somewhat hotter than you would with
an electric iron.

* Use good quality butane. The 'variety store' stuff
can cause your iron to sputter. 'Master Ultratane'
works very well for me.

* Don't send your iron in for warranty repair.
They will steal it instead of repair and return it.

--Winston