Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Russ Stanton Russ Stanton is offline

Default Turning tools

Mac

In your opinion are there turnings that could not be done using carbide
tools such as Easy Wood Tools. I am thinking of things such as turning a
bowl from a burl that would have a significant number of voids, or maybe a
bowl with square wings.

Russ
"Mac Davis" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 22:19:19 -0400, "Russ Stanton"
wrote:

Mac you say you use mostly carbide turning tools but prefer to teach using
conventional tools. Can you explain to this novice why? I started being
taught using conventional tools and found it to be discouraging, I went to
class taught by a demonstrator for Easy Wood Tools and got the hang of it
fairly quickly.

Russ

2 reasons, Russ.. The first is that I've never found a tool that
completly replaces the bowl gouge...
I use the WoodChuck Bowlpro a lot but they're for roughing... I can't
get a sweeping curve on the inside of a bowl from anything but a sharp
bowl gouge..

2nd, you should know what tool(s) you're partially replacing with the
carbide tool and how it cuts... I have several carbide tools that I
use as roughing gouges, skews, hollowing tools, etc., but I feel that
my learning to use/control the conventional tools first makes me much
better with the carbide ones..

You can rough out a bowl with the EZrougher or Bowlpro, (same tools
with different prices) and then use a bowl gouge and scraper to
smooth and shape the inside of the bowl..
I can turn a complete bowl with the bowlpro, just like I can write a
letter in Excel.. Just not well

Hope that makes a little bit of sense..