Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What is the difference between tuner cleaner and contact cleaner?

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 20:34:51 -0400, micky
wrote:

Yeah. It's a Sony Ericson W580i.

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/mobilephones/overview/w580i?lc=en&cc=us

If the connector appears to be cracked,
replace the connector.

There are plenty of used cell phone dealers around.
http://www.recellular.com/find/
http://www.recellulartoo.com/
http://www.dotcells.com/
etc...

Plenty on eBay. New for $90. Used for $35 to $50. Some auctions at
low prices. Search for W580i.

I'll be able to find one for sale? (Don't waste your time looking.
After all, I haven't said it's cracked yet.)

In this case, probably not. Here's the connector:
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/174/796/331/331796174_570.jpg
What's probably happening is that the gold contacts in the phone have
developed a layer of crud on them, and the sharp points on the plug
are not penetrating the crud. Solution... remove the crud. I have
several old phones with similar connectors. What I used was a tiny
screwdriver or plastic pick as a scraper. Some household cleaner
(i.e. 409), and a pair of overkill magnifying glasses so I can see
what I'm doing. The trick is to scrape off the crud until you see the
gold underneath, without scraping off the gold, or destroying the
plastic insulation between contacts. Start with a toothpick. Graduate
to a metal scraper if that doesn't work. You'll probably also find a
substantial amount of pocket lint inside the connector, which needs to
be removed BEFORE attacking.

I don't know what was used the first time. I wasn't involved. Right
now I don't even remember if she did it herself or she went to a phone
store.

The phone store usually has a spray can of something. I've never
bothered to check what they use.

If that doesn't work, tear the phone apart.

I'd like that, but she may not trust me.

I wouldn't trust you with my phone either.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D