Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default How to resolder a cold solder connection?

"micky"

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/mainrelayfix/index.html

Next to the fourth picture, it says:

"Removal of old solder As much of the old solder as possible was
removed in preparation for re-soldering. It is possible to simply
re-flow the old solder, but this method is better. "

Does anyone agree with that?

** Yep.

When you guys resolder, do you just heat it up and add a little more
solder, or do you clean off the old solder and start fresh? Thrifty
guy that I am, it never occurred to me that people would routinely do
the seocnd.

** Wicking ( or using a de-soldering gun) to get the old solder off is
needed to look at the component leads or pins before re-soldering

If the lead looks shiny and tinned all over - fine.

If the lead looks dark and dry of solder - not fine.

Also, there is now the issue of mixing dissimilar solders - ie leaded and
unleaded.

I use Multicore "Savbit" solder for all repairs as it will not absorb
copper, has higher than usual strength and a very good flux core.

..... Phil