Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_41_] Bill[_41_] is offline

Default EMT Design Question

Bill wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

You didnt surface mount the
wiring in your new wine cellar, did you?

Nope. But I did surface-mount nearly all of the wiring that I added to my
workshop. Only the new walls got concealed wiring and flush-mounted
switches
and receptacles. And what little new wiring I've added in my garage
has *all*
been surface-mounted. On the other hand, new wiring in my kitchen is
entirely
concealed.

My decision tree looks like this:

Is the wall new construction?
Yes -- use concealed wiring and flush-mounted boxes.
No -- Would concealed wiring and flush-mounted boxes be easy to install?
Yes -- do it.
No -- Would surface-mounted conduit and boxes look out of place?
Yes -- use concealed wiring and flush-mounted boxes.
No -- surface-mount everything.

Wine cellar: Yes. Stop there. Concealed.
Workshop (old walls): No, No, No. Surface mount.
Workshop (new walls): Yes. Stop there. Concealed.
Garage: No, No, No. Surface mount.
Kitchen: No, No, Yes. Concealed.

Your decision tree makes a lot of sense.
Artistic endeavers that people do out of passion (like boat-building,
for instance), don't have to make sense. They are, perhaps, just an
outlet for expression. One man's Red Rock plane is another man's
door-stop...

Oops: That should be Bed Rock plane.... Thought it's not too terrible
of an expression for a rusty one. ; )

Regards,
Bill