Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller[_2_] Doug Miller[_2_] is offline

Default EMT Design Question

In article , Bill
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

Rigid metallic conduit (RMC) and electrical metallic tubing (EMT) are not the
same thing. For your application, you definitely want EMT. Among other

things,
you can't bend RMC, and you can EMT. RMC is waaay overkill.

That is a nice fact to know about RMC. Thank you.

I still think that's going to prove to be the easiest route for you (assuming
you're still intending to surface-mount all of this).

Yes, I don't doubt you that it would be the easiest way.
And, I can't argue with your point that "it's just a garage". But there
is no reason to skimp on this detail.

There's also no reason (IMHO) to go to great lengths to conceal wiring in
utility areas such as garages and workshops.

You didnt surface mount the
wiring in your new wine cellar, did you?

Nope. But I did surface-mount nearly all of the wiring that I added to my
workshop. Only the new walls got concealed wiring and flush-mounted switches
and receptacles. And what little new wiring I've added in my garage has *all*
been surface-mounted. On the other hand, new wiring in my kitchen is entirely
concealed.

My decision tree looks like this:

Is the wall new construction?
Yes -- use concealed wiring and flush-mounted boxes.
No -- Would concealed wiring and flush-mounted boxes be easy to install?
Yes -- do it.
No -- Would surface-mounted conduit and boxes look out of place?
Yes -- use concealed wiring and flush-mounted boxes.
No -- surface-mount everything.

Wine cellar: Yes. Stop there. Concealed.
Workshop (old walls): No, No, No. Surface mount.
Workshop (new walls): Yes. Stop there. Concealed.
Garage: No, No, No. Surface mount.
Kitchen: No, No, Yes. Concealed.